Legal Counsel - Global Equity Expert
Papaya Global provides an HR and payroll platform for global workforce management. The automated, cloud-based SaaS platform unifies all workforce management tasks under one platform – providing an end-to-end solution, from onboarding to ongoing management and cross-border payments.
The legal team is looking for a Legal Counsel - Global Equity Expert to join a dynamic, fast-growing start-up company.
The Legal Counsel- Global Equity Expert is responsible for advising and assisting our clients with managing Equity compensation programs. The ideal candidate will have experience and a comprehensive understanding of global equity compensation schemes for public and private companies, stock option agreements, vesting schedules, equity database and capitalization tables, and maintain a high level of professional knowledge of a broad scope of incentive plans and types of equity awards (ESPP, RSU, SAR, PSU, etc.).
- Lead all global Equity plan services, provide professional advice in all Equity plan-related expertise to our customers: benchmarking, best practices and trends, etc
- Support clients’ infrequent events such as repricing, restructuring, secondary sale, IPO’s M&A’s, tender offers and 409A valuation
- Interpret and understand legal documents such as security regulations and global governance legislation and tax regulations
- Communicate, educate, advise and answer questions from customers regarding equity programs
- Manage applicable record-keeping system and prepare employee communications
- Partner with operations and sales teams with a high level of clarity and communication
- Advise and support processing of stock grants, exercises, lapses, termination and cancellation of equity awards activity to ensure plan and local law compliance, accurate financial reporting and reporting of payroll and tax withholding
- Licensed attorney - required
- Previous experience and wide understanding of equity and stock-based compensation plans and all equity vehicles including ESPP and 10B5 plan
- A legal background in global tax and securities
- Basic knowledge of regulatory and compliance matters as they relate to equity, both U.S. and international
- Ability to partner effectively with the team across a large, complex organization to create and launch innovative and successful solutions
- Strong communication skills with ability to interact and build strong relationships with both internal and external partners
- Experience partnering with vendors, third parties and regulatory agencies
- Understand cross-functional impact and considerations (accounting, securities law, tax, payroll, administration) for equity programs
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy